Experience History at the Museum During Hall of Fame Weekend 2019, July 19-22
(COOPERSTOWN, NY) – Baseball’s grandest legends and heroes are set to be inducted as the Class of 2019 this weekend. But even as the game of today focuses on Cooperstown, the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum salutes the National Pastime’s glorious past with stories and artifacts from the game’s greatest moments.
Harold Baines, Roy Halladay, Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina, Mariano Rivera and Lee Smith will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on July 21, adding their names to the list of icons featured in bronze in the Plaque Gallery. The Museum includes more than 60,000 square feet of state-of-the-art exhibits, featuring the Today’s Game exhibit with the Museum’s latest acquisitions.
From the oak-lined walls of the Plaque Gallery to the new Shoebox Treasures exhibit that tells the fascinating story of the history of baseball cards, the Museum captures the history of baseball and preserves the timeless story of our national game.
The highlight of the July 19-22 Induction Weekend in Cooperstown is the Induction Ceremony, which takes place at 1:30 p.m. on July 21 on the grounds of the Clark Sports Center, one mile south of the Hall of Fame on Susquehanna Avenue. Admission to the Induction Ceremony is free.
The Museum is open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily through Labor Day, with special hours during Friday, Saturday and Sunday of Hall of Fame Weekend:
• Friday, July 19: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Saturday, July 20: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Plaque Gallery closes at 4:30 p.m.)
• Sunday, July 29: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
As always, Hall of Fame Members receive free admission. Participants in the Museum’s Membership Program will have access to the Museum beginning at 7 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday of Hall of Fame Weekend and at 8 a.m. on Monday. For more information about becoming a Member, please visit www.baseballhall.org/join.
After the plaques of the members of the Class of 2019 are installed during Hall of Fame Weekend, several will be temporarily removed during the following weeks to travel to events celebrating the newest Hall of Famers. Fans planning visits to Cooperstown during these times should be advised that the actual bronze plaques will be removed from display during the times listed below. A photographic image of each plaque will be featured in the space, featuring a full replication of the plaque, while the actual plaques are traveling.
The schedule for plaques traveling in the coming weeks includes:
Edgar Martinez plaque:
• Removed from display: Wednesday, Aug. 7 in the afternoon
• Special events: At T-Mobile Park in Seattle, Aug. 9-10
• Returning to display: Monday, Aug. 12 by 12 noon
Harold Baines plaque:
• Removed from display: Friday, Aug. 9 in the afternoon
• Special event: At Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago, Aug. 11
• Returning to display: Tuesday, Aug. 13 by 12 noon
Mariano Rivera plaque:
• Removed from display: Thursday, Aug. 15 in the afternoon
• Special event: At Yankee Stadium, Aug. 17
• Returning to display: Monday, Aug. 19 by 12 noon
Mike Mussina plaque:
• Removed from display: Friday, Aug. 30 in the afternoon
• Special event: At Yankee Stadium, Sept. 1
• Returning to display: Tuesday, Sept. 3 by 12 noon
The schedule is subject to change, with additional plaque travels possible this summer.